Medical Coder II (#1227)
|Salary Range:||$16.72 to $25.29|
|Department:||Family Medicine Clinic|
|Description:||Klickitat Valley Health is accepting applications for a casual Medical Coder II (Certified) to join the KVH team. This position is an on-call position to cover vacations and other absences. This Casual position does not guarantee any specific number of hours per week and shifts are varied. |
The Medical Coder II is an administrative healthcare professional that carefully reviews all inpatient and outpatient medical records and assigns appropriate ICD and CPT codes to the record for billing. The Medical Coder II is a resource for all staff and providers as it relates to correct coding for optimal reimbursement. The Medical Coder II demonstrates excellence in customer service during interactions with employees, managers/supervisors, patients, patient family members, customers, vendors, etc. and works collaboratively with colleagues and departments throughout the organization to provide optimal care services in a professional, ethical and knowledgeable fashion. Maintains a safe, clean and organized work environment.
|Duties:||• Reviews inpatient and outpatient medical records to identify the principal diagnosis and all applicable secondary diagnoses and procedures.|
• Assigns ICD-10CM and CPT- 4 codes to records.
• Enters coded and other related data into the hospital information management system for claims processing.
• Queries/verifies with other staff, including providers, on correct coding and documentation requirements.
• Acts a resource for questions and troubleshooting related to coding and / or billing process.
• Remains current on coding trends and advances or changes to universal coding system(s).
• Performs other related duties as assigned/required.
|Qualifications:||Minimum Education, Training & Experience (includes licenses or certifications):|
• High school diploma or GED required.
• Graduate of an accredited medical billing / coding program or a minimum of two (2) years of applicable experience including ICD-10 and CPT-4 coding, plus education with ICD-10 coding standards.
• National coder certification required.
• Requires critical thinking skills, decisive judgment and the ability to work with regular supervision.
• Excellent communication skills including the ability to resolve conflict and address concerns in a professional, productive manner.
• Promote the delivery of excellent customer service to internal and external customers.
• Must be flexible and able to adapt to changing needs especially during times of high volume and / or stress.
• Attention to detail and high degree of accuracy; risk of error could result in significant financial loss.
• Ability to consistently meet productivity and accuracy standards.
• Prioritization, time management and organizational skills.
• Maintain strict confidentiality at all times.
• General knowledge of medical billing procedures.
• Understanding of basic anatomy and physiology.
• Knowledge of basic medical terminology.
• Ability to read, write, speak and understand English.
• Experience with using everyday tools (e.g., email, data retrieval, voicemail, and internet/intranet).