Klickitat Valley Health is now in search of a Surgery Manager to join our friendly community hospital and enjoy excellent quality of life. KVH is a progressive critical access, public hospital district that has served the community for over 50 years and takes pride in offering innovative, high quality healthcare services. KVH offers Emergency, Acute and Transitional Care; Home Health & Hospice Services; Surgical Services; and full-scope Primary Care including Pain Management, Diabetes Management and Care Coordination.
KVH employs two exceptional full-time general surgeons, one specializing in hand and the other in breast. The OR houses two surgical suites which are used for GI scope procedures, general surgeries, and minimally invasive pain management procedures. The Surgery Manager is one who is competent to perform the duties of a staff RN (pre-op, post-op and/or circulator) and is familiar with the business, regulatory and personnel management aspects of a surgery department including: efficiency and best practices, state regulations, quality measures, performance management, discipline, budgeting, staffing, and process improvement. The Manager directly supervises a team of 8-10 employees and reports to the Director of Nursing Services.
The Manager benefits package includes Medical, Dental, Vision, Rx, Life Insurance, Long and Short Term Disability, Retirement Contribution, Medical Services Credit, and 5 weeks of Paid Time off annually.
• Planning and Coordination of Services: Surgical services are planned, coordinated and delivered with the patient’s needs as the primary focus. Monitors the delivery of surgical services to ensure compliance with all regulatory agencies including the Department of Health, as well as hospital policy; assists staff with work problems/challenges and helps to troubleshoot and resolve problems.
• Communication: Listens to and attempts to resolve multifaceted concerns of patients, families, employees and physicians/providers as needed. Written and verbal communications are accurately delivered and received in a timely, clear and appropriate manner. Communicates clearly and precisely with staff regarding expectations, operations, work methods and process, changes in work methods/practices, changes in regulations. Uses interpersonal skills to give constructive feedback/criticism in a nonjudgmental, positive and confidential manner.
• Process Improvement: Process improvement (PI) is provided through services which reflect understanding and attempt to meet patient/customer needs and expectations. Promotes “cost effectiveness” through identification and implementation of cost saving measures where practical, while maintaining quality. Promotes a clean, safe work environment consistent with Department of Health standards, and trains staff in the use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and reports any unsafe work conditions or occurrences through the appropriate channels.
• Budget Management: Develops the Surgery department budget, reviews/monitors monthly budget reports for expenditure appropriateness, analyzes variances and makes adjustments or takes corrective action as needed to ensure annual budget objective compliance for: operating expenses, productivity utilization/FTE staffing requirements, use of resources, etc. Ensures that necessary supplies are ordered and available when needed.
• Strategic Management: Develops and implements the Surgery department’s goals and objectives for operational effectiveness, quality measurement outcomes, service delivery modification/change, etc. and maintains current action plans.
Department Administration: Develops, administers, evaluates and interprets Surgery policy and practice for all employees in the delivery of patient care; provides training for employees and educates on best practices.
• Staffing/Selection: Participates with HR in the recruitment, interviewing, selection, training and evaluation of Surgery employees. Assesses educational needs of employees and develops or provides educational resources to meet those needs. Establishes and maintains work schedules to ensure proper staffing, responds to daily staffing needs/adjustments as needed; monitors staff turnover and evaluates controllable factors/causes which influence/impact employee separations. The Manager may work as staff RN to cover gaps in the schedule, relieve staff for lunches and/or breaks, as well as during times of high volume or staffing shortages.
• Personnel Management: Acts as a role model for staff; determines appropriate staffing levels/requirements as well as experience/skills/qualifications needed; manages and motivates employee relations/behaviors/performance by inspiring through coaching, feedback, evaluation, recognition, staff meetings; conducts performance appraisals of employees; and disciplines staff as needed.
• Productivity: Monitors quantity and quality of daily work output and implements low census staffing adjustments as needed.
• Customer Service: Promotes a culture of “service excellence” within the department by putting courtesy before efficiency. Ensures that employees understand customer service departmental goals, expectations and the connection between customer experience and loyalty. Continually seek avenues to provide enhanced customer service and achieve greater efficiency within the department.
• Compliance: Demonstrates knowledge of applicable statutory, regulatory and administrative requirements relative to Surgery department operation/accreditation and accountable for compliance. Enforces organization’s Infection Prevention standards and policies to minimize infection and cross contamination among patients and staff.
• Hazardous Materials: Ensures proper and safe handling and disposal of all hazardous materials
• Collaboration: Collaborates with Administration to facilitate a safe environment in situations of divert status, disaster and emergent patient/visitor/physician-related events. Responds as a role model for staff at KVH.
• Professional Development: Participates in other healthcare and clinic professional organizations, and networks with other OR supervisors/managers as possible. Supports improvement and innovation in the work place.
• Graduate from an accredited school of Nursing; Associate’s degree required, Bachelor’s degree preferred
• Minimum five years’ recent nursing experience required with at least two years in the Operating Room setting
• Minimum two years’ experience working in a supervisory/managerial capacity required
• Experience overseeing daily operations of a Surgical Services department
• Demonstrated ability to accomplish the delivery of safe and efficient surgical services including knowledge of the business, financial, and regulatory requirements of a Surgery department
• Competence as Surgical Services RN including pre-op, post-op and/or Circulating RN
• Demonstrated ability to effectively manage personnel including creative staffing solutions, proactive performance management, strong communication, team-building, and conflict resolution.
• Positive and effective interpersonal and communication skills with colleagues, patients, families, physicians, volunteers, and community with the ability to resolve conflict in a calm, productive, professional manner
• Promote/develop/deliver excellent customer service to both internal (patients, physician and staff) and external customers (visitors and vendors).
• Adaptability is essential to manage the needs of a department with unpredictable volume and limited staff.
• Maintain a calm and composed manner in emergency/stressful situations, using critical thinking skills and objective data to take appropriate action as necessary.
• Demonstrate attention to detail and maintain a high degree of accuracy; risk of error could result in significant harm or loss.
• Excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills with ability to anticipate tasks and prioritize assignments.
• Ability to clearly delegate daily work assignments and special projects as appropriate.
• Experience with using everyday electronic tools (e.g., email, data retrieval, voicemail, fax machine, copier and internet/intranet) as well as ability to effectively utilize an Electronic Medical Record.
• Proficiency with basic computer programs including Microsoft Word and Excel, and good typing skills.
• Ability to read, write, speak and understand English.
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.