KVH is seeking a Casual Respiratory Therapist to join our hospital in providing quality care for our community. Working 2-4 days per month.
This position offers variable shifts and qualifies for an additional 15% hourly wage differential in lieu of guaranteed hours and benefits.
KVH is a rural, critical access, public hospital district located in scenic Goldendale, Washington only two hours from Portland along the breathtaking Columbia River Gorge. The KVH care team of approximately 200 staff members considers it an honor to offer high quality healthcare to our friends, family and neighbors.
Goldendale, population 3,500, is nestled among the rolling Simcoe Hills with gorgeous views of Mt. Hood and Mt. Adams. Hiking, biking, fishing, hunting, skiing, kayaking, and windsurfing are world-class with the Columbia River and untouched wilderness just minutes away. Locals enjoy the cultural offerings of Hood River and Portland, as well as the dozens of wineries that dot the landscape throughout the Columbia River Gorge.
This position provides direct patient care for our critical access hospital. The Respiratory Therapist reports to the Director of Nursing.
Must enjoy working with a diverse group of patients and must be certified in the State of Washington.
The Respiratory Therapist performs direct patient care activities to restore pulmonary function, alleviate pain, and supports life by planning and administering medically prescribed respiratory therapy under the direction of a provider within his/her scope of practice. The Respiratory Therapist works collaboratively with colleagues and departments throughout the organization to provide optimal outcomes for our patients. The Respiratory Therapist demonstrates excellence in customer service during interactions with employees, managers/supervisors, physicians, patients and patient family members, etc. The Respiratory Therapist is aware of the potential exposure to internal and external hazardous materials, including but not limited to: blood and blood borne pathogens, infectious/communicable diseases, potential physical injury while caring for patients. Maintains a safe and clean environment for the care of the patient.
• Supports the mission, vision and values of the organization.
• Meets patient’s goals/needs and provides quality care by conducting pulmonary function tests; assess and interprets evaluations and test results; determines respiratory therapy treatment plans in consultation with physician/provider and by prescription.
• Uses the principles of growth and development to assess each patient’s age-specific needs and provides age-specific treatment and care.
• Helps patient accomplish established treatment plan and supports life by administering inhalants, operating mechanical ventilators, therapeutic gas administration apparatus, environmental control systems and aerosol generators, collecting specimens for clinical analysis.
• Administers respiratory therapy treatments by performing bronchopulmonary drainage; assisting with breathing exercises; monitors physiology responses to therapy, such as: vital signs, arterial blood gases, blood chemistry changes, etc.
• Evaluates effects of respiratory therapy treatment plan by observing, noting, and evaluating the patient’s progress; recommends adjustments and modifications to physician/provider as needed.
• Participates in cardiopulmonary resuscitation on patients in cardiac or respiratory arrest; responds to emergency codes.
• Completes discharge planning by consulting with physicians/providers, nurses, social worker, and other healthcare workers contributing to patient care conferences.
• Documents all patient care services provided to the patient by charting in patient and department records/charts or electronic medical record (EMR).
• Ensures operation of equipment by completing preventative maintenance requirements, following manufacturer’s instructions, troubleshooting malfunctions and/or notifying Respiratory Manager of need for repairs.
• Maintains a clean, safe working environment for patients and staff that is organized and efficient.
• Complies with established departmental policies and procedures, objectives, safety, environmental, and infection control standards; while upholding the high expectations of KVH.
• Cooperates with other personnel to achieve department objectives and maintain good employee relations, interdepartmental objectives, and infection control policies.
• Maintains patient confidence and protects hospital reputation by complying with all regulatory requirements, and following PHI release-of-information protocols.
• Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops/conferences, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, and participating in professional societies.
• Completes initial and annual skills competencies.
• Attends required staff meetings and mandatory in-services.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Education / Licensure:
• Associate Degree in Respiratory Therapy required.
• Current Washington State license required.
• BLS, ACLS required within six (6) months of hire.
• At least one (1) year recent experience providing direct patient care in an acute care, critical care or emergency care setting required.
• Demonstrated knowledge of respiratory therapy skills, patients’ rights, universal precautions, infection prevention, body mechanics, and basic medical terminology.
• Knowledge of technical respiratory therapy care, including: pulmonary function, airway management, breathing and circulation, medication use and application, arterial blood gas assessment, oxygen administration, operating ventilators and other medical equipment, etc.
• Requires critical thinking skills, ability to make good decisions, listen and accept advice from others, demonstrate maturity and good judgement and the ability to work with limited supervision.
• Demonstrated ability of positive interpersonal and communication skills with colleagues, patients, families, physicians particularly during times of high stress.
• Promote/develop/deliver excellent customer service to both internal (patients, physician and staff) and external customers (visitors and vendors), and work effectively with distraught or agitated individuals.
• Work productively, cohesively within a team and resolve conflict/differences in a positive manner.
• Work in a stressful, fast-paced environment and take appropriate action to ensure quality of patient care, ability to cope with both physical and emotional demands of the job.
• Ability to anticipate tasks and prioritize assignments.
• Good organizational and multi-tasking skills.
• Demonstrate attention to detail and high degree of accuracy, risk of error could result in significant harm or loss.
• Ability to read, write, speak and understand simple sentences in English.
• Follow oral and written instructions precisely.
• Experience with using everyday computer electronic technology tools (e.g., email, data retrieval, voicemail, and internet/intranet) as well as ability to effectively utilize an electronic medical record (EMR).
• Proficiency with basic computer programs including Microsoft Word and Excel.
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.